What to do before an international moving
An international move is a decision that impacts many areas of our life. Surely even before this decision, there was a lot of research, conversations and even headaches, right?
Thinking about this challenging period for you, we created the checklist below with the dates, to support you in your preparation for the move, and make everything happen in the best way. So, you won’t have any more worries and each step will happen smoothly and without unexpected events.
Let’s go for it:
5 TO 6 WEEKS BEFORE THE INTERNATIONAL MOVE
- Make sure your passport, citizen card, ID and visa are valid.
- Check if permits are required in your new country of residence (e.g. residence permit, permit for pets, arms license, etc.).
- Check which vaccinations are required at your new destination.
- Make sure you have all documentation for the trip, including tickets.
- Keep all your official documents in one place (e.g. birth or marriage certificates, ID, citizen card, passport, vaccination card, driving license, etc.).
- Check if your driving license is valid in the destination country.
- Ask your car insurance company for your personal insurance history.
- Cancel all subscriptions to newspapers, magazines or gyms.
- Notify your child/children’s school.
- Clean your attic, pantry and garden.
- Get your coats, clothes, curtains, sofas, blankets, etc. dry cleaned.
- Check all your items and appliances that need to be repaired and have them fixed: watches, appliances, clothing, shoes, etc.
- Schedule all necessary medical appointments and ask for a year worth of prescriptions.
- Sell your car.
3 TO 4 WEEKS BEFORE THE INTERNATIONAL MOVE
- Make a survey of the value of goods you want to insure and our Insurance team will make that proposal with you.
- Sell or give to charity all the items you are leaving behind. Our Global Foundation can take care of that for you.
- Give your friends and family your contacts, including your new address.
- Cancel all utility bills.
- Check your leasing, credits or other legal contract agreements.
- Try to finish off the food and drinks left in your home. Buy only the essentials for the remaining days before your move.
- Confirm with your Global Moving coordinator the exact moving date.
- Advise of change of address at your bank, tax office, doctor and other relevant entities.
- Request all your diplomas, certificates and other important documents: school, doctors, veterinarians, etc.
2 WEEKS BEFORE THE INTERNATIONAL MOVE
- Clean your garden tools, bicycles, etc.
- Take all your possessions from work.
- If you have lent any books, CDs or other goods ask for them back.
- Empty the fuel tank of motorcycles or cars that will be transported to your new destination.
- Offer or sell plants and perishable goods that you won’t need (remember that our Global Foundation can also help you with this).
1 WEEK BEFORE THE INTERNATIONAL MOVE
- Close bank accounts or let your bank know of your move.
- Make sure your bank can transfer your funds to your new bank.
- Buy traveler’s cheques.
- Buy necessary medication for your journey including travel sickness pills.
- Organize your transportation to the airport.
- Defrost and clean refrigerator and freezer.
- Hire a team to clean the house after packing is done.
- Send to your Global Moving coordinator all completed and signed dispatch-related documents.
1 TO 2 DAYS BEFORE THE INTERNATIONAL MOVE
- Put aside personal items that must travel with you, e.g. keys, documents, passport, tickets, money, clothes, medication, maps, games, books, etc.
- Confirm ticket bookings.
- Disconnect, clean and dry electrical appliances you want to take to your new destination.
- Organise furniture and follow the schedule set by your Global Moving coordinator.
- Ask your neighbours or building administration for an extra parking space for the day of the move, if necessary.
ON THE DAY OF THE INTERNATIONAL MOVE
- Just relax! The Global Moving team will do the work for you…
- Stay in touch, in case we have any questions.
- Go through each room of the house to make sure you haven’t left anything behind.
- Have a good trip!
And that’s it, we’ll take care of all the transportation of your goods until we deliver them to you and assemble everything at your new address in another country.
Now it’s time to meet your neighbors, the community and explore this international adventure.
If you have any questions about your move or international move, please contact us and we will be happy to help you.
We hope you will be very happy in your new home.